Spaetzle is a special kind of egg noodle that is often enjoyed as a side dish in the Luxembourgish cuisine. They are often considered as a ‘Schwabian’ speciality. Spaetzle taste best when they are homemade and served with crispy bacon, cheese and fried onions. The preparation is easy but you need a spaetzle press for this recipe. There are many different ones but the one we use is a board with holes in it which comes with a scraper.
- 400 g flour
- 4 eggs
- 100 ml water
- Mix all the ingredients together until thick viscous dough.
- Boil salted water in a pot.
- Fill a bowl with cold water.
- Press the dough through the spaetzle press into boiling water. You can put a few spoons of dough on the board and slide the craper back and forth, the batter drops through the holes into the simmering water.
- Cook them for about 2 minutes. They will rise to the surface when they’re done. Rinse in cold water.
- If all the spaetzles are done, slice some bacon and roast it in a pan. Add the spaetzle and pan fry shortly.