This basic marble cake is probably my favourite of all cakes! It’s moist and fluffy with a crunchy crust on the outside.
- 200 g butter
- 240 g sugar
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 6 eggs
- 1 pinch of salt
- 280 g flour
- 100 ml milk
- 200 g black chocolate
- Place softened butter and sugar into large mixing bowl. Mix, using hand mixer or stand mixer on medium speed for 1-2 minutes.
- Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Add egg yolks to butter.
- Add flour alternately with the stiff egg white, then add milk and salt and mix until the mixture is smooth.
- Divide the mixture between 2 bowls.
- Break chocolate and place into a heatproof bowl. Sit over a pan of barely simmering water (a bain marie) and allow the chocolate to melt, stirring occasionally.
- Stir melted chocolate into the mixture in one of the bowls.
- Take 2 spoons and use them to dollop the chocolate and white cake mixes into the tin alternately.
- Bake the cake for 50-55 mins at 160 degrees until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.